Cahir Castle (Irish: Caisleán na Cathrach), one of the largest castles in Ireland, is sited on an island in the river Suir. It was built in 1142 by Conor O'Brien, Prince of Thomond. Now situated in Cahir town centre, South Tipperary the castle is well preserved and has guided tour and audiovisual shows in multiple languages. Cahir Castle was built in the 13th century on a site of an earlier native fortification called a cathair (stone fort), which gave its name to the place. The castle was built in two parts, with the side now by the street being built 200 years before the side now housing the audio-visual show. Granted to the powerful Butler family in late 14th century, the castle was enlarged and remodelled between the 15th and 17th centuries. It fell into ruin in the late 18th century and was partially restored in the 1840s. The Great Hall was partly rebuilt in 1840.
Thomas MacDonagh Heritage Centre
The people of Cloughjordan saw a dream realised with the opening of the Thomas MacDonagh Heritage Centre, just 8km from Moneygall. A great team of volunteers continue to work to develop the display of local heritage and memorabilia of the MacDonaghFamily. Born in Cloughjordan in 1878, Thomas MacDonagh was one of the seven signatories of the Irish Proclamation and was executed by firing squad for his part in the 1916 Easter Rising. He was married to Muriel Guifford and father to Donagh and Bairbre. During his short life he published collections of his poems, plays and literary works. Cloughjordan honours the patriot, poet, playwright, gaeilgeoir, educationalist and family man, during the Thomas MacDonagh Weekend, held annually at the beginning of May including a day long Summer School which highlights MacDonagh and aspects of Irish heritage. The centre is grateful to the MacDonagh family for making archival material available for display in a permanent exhibition.
During the Great Famine the Warhouse was the scene of the 1848 Rebellion. The house exhibits the history of the Famine and mass emigration, the rebellion, high treason trials and penal exile of the Young Ireland leaders in Australia and their escapes to the U.S.A. Here rebels under the leadership of the Protestant aristocrat, William Smith O’Brien, M.P., besieged 47 police who had barricaded themselves into the McCormack farmhouse taking five children hostage. The exhibition places the Famine Rebellion in the context of 1848 as Europe’s Year of Revolutions in France, Germany, Italy, Austria and Hungary. Access to the ground floor for visitors with disabilities.
Cashel Folk Museum
Cashel Folk Village features historical retrospectives of the Irish revolutionary period 1916-1923, the Great Irish Famine 1845-1851. Also featured is a penal chapel containing religious artifacts, the original Croke Memorial that commemorates Archbishop Croke of Cashel and Emly who was a founding member of the Gaelic Athletic Association, a traditional 'tinker' caravan and a 19th century 'brougham' carriage. Of further interest is a statue of the World War II-era IRA leader Sean Russell (1893-1940), a replica blacksmith's forge and information about Catholic clergyman John Lanigan (1758-1825). A range of historical artifacts include ancient Irish tools, old hunting traps, old Irish dressers, an original Blueshirt, bog butter, an ancient standing stone, original Irish elk antlers (the Irish elk became extinct between 8,000 and 12,000 years ago.) and much more.
Killaghy Castle is 4* tourist board approved self-catering castle available for holiday home hire, group bookings, parties, activity weekends and more. Killaghy Castle is a sensitively restored Norman castle which dates back to 1206. Located 30 minutes from Kilkenny and 90 minutes from Dublin, Killaghy Castle's holiday accommodation is ideal for both summer holidays and winter breaks. Poetry reading takes place annually in the walled garden of the castle. Good angling, equestrian and walking facilities are available nearby. All facilities within five minute walk to village with pub, shops, fishing and more in the locality. Visit KillaghyCastle.ie for information on our wellbeing weekend breaks.
Nenagh Castle was built by Theobald Walter (the first of the Butlers of Ormond) around 1200. To this day the cylindrical keep adorns the town and like most keeps it formed part of the perimeter of the fortress. The walls have now almost disappeared, but fragments remain. Built from limestone Nenagh Castle measures fifty-five feet in external diameter at the base and rises to a height of one hundred feet. The Castle features four storeys and thanks to a recent renovation this wonderful landmark now represents the town’s premier tourist attraction. The Castle is open for visitors from April 2014 to October 2014, Opening Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 1pm and 2pm - 4.30pm (last admission at 3.45pm) Free admission and free guided tours in English and Polish (length of tour: 30 - 40 minutes) Entrance to the Castle is located on O’Rahilly Street, and it can be reached via Banba Square Contact details: Nenagh Heritage Centre - +353 (0) 67 33 850 e-mail: email@example.com
Nenagh Heritage Centre
Welcome to Nenagh Heritage Centre / Museum, Tipperary, Ireland. Housed in a mid-19th Century building which was a County Gaol Governor's House, a Convent and a Heritage Centre, this unique Museum is well worth a visit! The building is located just a short walk from Nenagh town centre. To view map of Nenagh town click on the following link www.nenagh.ie/map.htm Housed in an interesting mid-19th Century building which was a County Gaol Governor's House for Tipperary, a Convent and a Heritage Centre, this unique Museum is well worth a visit! The Nenagh Heritage Centre is located just a short walk from Nenagh town centre in Co. Tipperary.
Castlecomer Discovery Park
Castlecomer Discovery Park is a multi-activity 80 acre woodland park suitable for all ages. With picnic areas scattered throughout the Park, and incorporating 6km of walking trails and 3 orienteering trails. There is a Tree Top Adventure Walk high among the sycamore trees, with a climbing wall and a ‘Leap of Faith’. There are 2 lakes, one for fishing with rod hire available, the other for boating, with Canadian canoes and pedal boats for hire. At the heart of the park is the fascinating Coal Mining Exhibition, with miners telling stories of Castlecomer’s 300 year mining history. Grab a bite in the award winning Jarrow Café, and pick up a novel gift from the talented craft makers in the craft yard. PLEASE NOTE: Booking required for Tree Top Walk & Boating Activities!!