Cahir Castle

Cahir Castle (Irish Translation: Caisleán na Cathrach) is one of the largest castles in Ireland and sited on an island in the River Suir. It was built by Conor O’Brien, Prince of Thomond, in 1142. The castle is situated near Cahir Town Centre, South Tipperary and offers guides tours and audiovisual shows in multiple languages. Cahir Castle was built in the 13th Century on a site of an earlier native fortification called a cathair (stone fort) which gave its name to the place. The castle was built in two, with the side by the street being built 200 years before the castle side which now houses the audio viual show. Ownership was granted to the powerful Butler family in the late 14th Century; the castle was enlarged and remodelled between the 15th and 17th Centuries. It fell into ruin in the late 18th Century and was partially restored in the 1840s. The Great Hall was partly rebuilt in the 1840s.

Order Online